What You Need to Know About Knee Replacement in LouisianaDecember 25, 2019
A total knee replacement in Louisiana is a surgery that replaces an arthritic knee joint with artificial replacement parts called the ‘prostheses’. It is typically recommended for older patients who are suffering from pain and loss of function due to arthritis and have been unsuccessful using other conservative methods of therapy.
The typical knee replacement involves replacing the ends of the thighbone and shinbone with plastic inserted between them and the kneecap.
In addition to arthritis, knee replacement in Louisiana may be recommended because of:
- Trauma, such as a fracture;
- Increased stress from overuse;
- Connective tissue disorders;
- Obesity, as additional weight puts extra force through your joints which can lead to arthritis over a period of time;
- Symptoms that might require knee replacement in Louisiana include the following.
- The cartilage lining is thinner than normal or completely absent. The degree of cartilage damage and inflammation varies with the type and stage of arthritis.
- The capsule of the arthritic knee is swollen.
- The joint space is narrowed and irregular in outline, which can be seen in an X-ray image.
- Bone spurs or excessive bone can also build up around the edges of the joint.
Benefits of Knee Replacement in Louisiana
The decision to proceed with knee replacement surgery is a cooperative one between you, your surgeon, family and your local doctor.
The benefits following surgery are relief of symptoms of arthritis, some of which include:
- Severe pain that limits your everyday activities including walking, shopping, visiting friends, getting in and out a of chair, gardening, etc.;
- Pain that wakens you at night;
- Deformity- either bowleg or knock knees;
Most patients who undergo knee replacement in Louisiana are between 60 to 80 years, but each patient is assessed individually and patients as young as 20 or old as 90 are occasionally operated on with good results.
Surgery is not a pleasant prospect for anyone, but for some people who suffer from arthritis, it could mean the difference between leading a normal life or living with a debilitating condition. Surgery can be regarded as part of your treatment plan as a way to restore function to your damaged joints and relieve pain.
Knee replacement surgery is one of the most successful operations available today. It is an informed decision between you, your surgeon, family, and medical practitioner. Want to know if you’re a good candidate for knee replacement in Louisiana? Don’t hesitate – call our office today to schedule a consultation and let’s find out!