Steps to Follow when TrenchingAugust 12, 2018
For construction sites in Michigan, it is essential to seek a contractor specializing in trenching construction services in Michigan, and for the contractor to have the relationships with, and the pre-qualifications of, the local utility providers and jurisdictional transportation departments. Utility providers are aware of damage during trench excavation, and the risk of injury to those on site, so most locator services are centralized in the United States by the “811-Before You Dig” system. Calling before a dig is a law you must follow.
Trench Excavation Planning
Before excavation begins, the contractor needs to cultivate a site-specific plan and perform the necessary steps before the dig. The general steps to follow are:
1. Call the 811-dig line to schedule the mark outs with all utility providers identified for the site.
2. Plan the path of the trench to cause the least amount of damage to existing buildings, landscaping and other site improvements.
3. Be diligent of the depths given on the approved civil drawings.
4. Know the soil types at the site.
5. Devise an erosion plan for the topsoil stored on site; a separate permit may be required for the erosion plan
6. Identify the appropriate excavation equipment
7. Confirm mark outs by all utility providers
Following these initial steps will better ensure a safe and uneventful trench excavation.
At the completion of the above steps in the excavation planning process, the execution of the plan should encompass the following trench excavation procedures:
1. Remove and store the topsoil in accordance with the erosion plan
2. Suggest any changes to the planned trench route necessitated by the mark outs
3. Begin the dig in following with the planned route and the civil drawings
4. Follow the trench path
5. Remain diligent to the depths of the trench and the height of the grade
6. Recheck the depths and grade height after completion
7. Ensure trench bank stability
8. Backfill the trench after completion
9. Follow the compaction specifications
10. Replace topsoil
11. Regrade as necessary
Adherence to the general steps required in the planning stages, conformance to the civil drawings and restoration of the work area to an acceptable condition are the industry standards for trench excavation procedures.
When seeking a commercial contractor to perform trenching construction services for Michigan projects, it is imperative to select a contractor with specialized trench excavation services, the support of local references, the owning the resources necessary including equipment and laser levels, and the enjoyment a solid reputation and safety record.